I have been looking around social networking sites lately and noticed that many businesses have been taking advantage of these sites to promote their sites. Of course, I have nothing against that but the question is, are they really using social media well in terms of SEO?
Truth is, if you do not know the twist and turns in social media, your SEO methods may not be as effective and you think. It’s like being in a party with people you don’t know. You want to make a good impression but you end up failing because you don’t know how to do it in the first place. That’s the same thing with social media. Keep in mind that people sign up there to socialize and clearly, doing business is not the first thing that they have in mind. So what do you do? How can you make social media work for your SEO? Here are some of the best tips that I have gathered.
· Make it “human” – social media is composed of people who know what they want. If you are going to use social media as means of your search engine optimization then make sure that you add human touch to it. Don’t just post links to your blogs on social networking sites. People will ignore that, trust me. Links are unappealing in some ways, this is why some people do not bother clicking them. If you want them to click it and check the links to your website, add something that will catch their attention. Post videos, pictures, links and other ways that can connect with users on a more personal level. Talk to people in forums, communities online, respond to comments and questions. This is a very good opportunity to be as interactive as you can with others. However, there’s a tricky part, you need to update this on a regular basis to continue the interaction. It may require extra time and effort but if you have the patience for it then you will be successful in using your social media in as a SEO tool.
· Content matters – as I have mentioned, you need to post something that will make people think. Don’t just post videos, photos, links just for the heck of it. Remember that you want your potential customers to engage in the things that they see or read among your posts. So make sure that each post counts. Read first before posting, research about the topic that you want to tackle, be smart and use the internet to back up your posts. Information is free online anyways so why not post something that people will appreciate? Remember, each post counts. This can help in the success of your SEO. So better do your best with each post and not just because you are obliged to post regularly. Find a good topic to talk about, post it and see what happens.
· Be on mobile – since social media is not limited to computers alone, make sure that your site can also support mobile applications. Back then only big social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc. have the access to smart phone users. These days it’s not just them but everyone can do it and it’s not just an option; it’s a must for each website owner! This way you can reach out even to those who are not in front of the computer 24/7. Keep in mind that there are many people using smart phones these days and you need to find a way to connect with them. So go and do it, make your site mobile friendly and you will see the results.
· Value what you post – it’s easy to get lost in the world of social media as information can be overwhelming sometimes. In social networks, information overload is not really ideal. What do you do then? Check your posts, make sure that they do not confuse or overwhelm your readers. Keep it simple, useful and engaging. Post something that people will appreciate, put yourself in their shoes. Is this post informative? Have I given them the answers they are looking for? Will this help them? ask yourself these questions before you post something. If the post you are about to make answers them all then you know you are putting in something that people will love. It’s as simple as that.
· Don’t work yourself up – if your first try at social media doesn’t go as you have planned, don’t be mad. Understand that you are not the only one using social media, the competition is by the thousands. That’s why you need a lot of patience and time for this. If at first you don’t succeed, try again. It’s as simple as that, keep in mind that in the world of search engine optimization, patience is the key. Don’t get frustrated if the first few tries don’t work out well. That’s just how it goes but if you are consistent and the methods you use are acceptable to search engines then you know that you are on the right path. Take your time and see what happens.